s
s
Sections
Sections
Sections
Sections
Subscribe

Fresh From Our Farmers: Bodega Bay Market Opens

One of our tiniest seasonal farmers markets, the one in Bodega Bay, opened for its second season on May 27. The market is a delightful community affair, with a leisurely pace in a beautiful setting. When I arrived last Sunday at 10 a.m., the field where the market [...]

By | June 6th, 2012|0 Comments

Fresh From Our Farmers: Healdsburg Wednesday Market Launches This Afternoon

For years, the Healdsburg Farmers Market has had a second market day, on Tuesday afternoons. Until last year it took place at the town plaza but as Tuesday afternoon summer concerts grew in popularity, the market was eclipsed. Last year it moved a couple of blocks west. Now it's returned [...]

By | June 6th, 2012|1 Comment

Fresh From Our Farmers: Petaluma Evening Market Launches Tonight

The Petaluma Evening Farmers Market kicks off its sixth season this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. It takes place on Second Street between B & D Streets in the theater district of downtown Petaluma. Like most evening markets, this market turns into more of a street fair/party as the evening progresses. [...]

By | June 6th, 2012|0 Comments

Fresh From Our Farmers: The Red Barn at Oak Hill Farm

The Red Barn at Oak Hill Farm in Glen Ellen opened for the season on May 2. The historic barn, over 100 years old, sits on the edge of about 700 gorgeous acres, about 50 of which are under cultivation. The entire property is preserved in the Sonoma Land Trust; [...]

By | May 31st, 2012|0 Comments

Fresh From Our Farmers: Occidental Bohemian Market Opens

When the Occidental Bohemian Farmers market opens for its 2012 season on Friday afternoon at 4 p.m., it will be with several vendors that sell only at this market, along with a few farmers that sell county wide and a few that attend just one or two other markets. Star [...]

By | May 31st, 2012|1 Comment

Tom Ecklund, Master Woodworker

A couple of summers ago, I discovered the gorgeous potting tables made by Tom Ecklund of Sebastopol, who was selling them at the Santa Rosa Original Certified Farmers Markets on Saturdays. Every week, I'd look at the tables enviously but simply could not decide which one I wanted. [...]

By | May 28th, 2012|3 Comments

Fresh From Our Farmers: Launch of the Santa Rosa Original Certified Farmers Market’s New Location

The Santa Rosa Original Certified Farmers Market greeted Saturday morning from its new home in the southeast parking lot of the Wells Fargo Center for the Arts. By 8:30 a.m., the market’s official opening time, it was full of shoppers. You could almost hear a collective sigh of relief, as two [...]

By | May 25th, 2012|5 Comments

Fresh From Our Farmers: Redwood Empire Farmers Market Opens

On Saturday morning, not long before the kick-off of the Rose Parade, a new farmers market opened in the west parking lot of the Santa Rosa Veterans Building. The Redwood Empire Farmers Market is the fourth farmers market in Santa Rosa. For a summary of Santa Rosa markets, [...]

By | May 25th, 2012|2 Comments

How many farmers markets are there in Santa Rosa?

With controversial changes underway in local farmers markets, a lot of misinformation is afloat. Let me try to clear up at least some of it. Contrary to several announcements and articles, the new market launching on Saturday does not raise the number of local farmers markets to two. It raises [...]

By | May 18th, 2012|11 Comments

Fresh From Our Farmers: Petaluma Saturday Market Opens For Its 26th Season

The Petaluma Farmers Market, located in Walnut Park a few blocks south of downtown, opens for its 26th season this Saturday, May 19. There will be about 50 vendors, most of them returning, a few new. Many of the vendors attend several markets a week. Among them are Hector Alvarez, [...]

By | May 15th, 2012|0 Comments