Spring Update: I continually hear from people who are either just learning of Traverso’s closure late last year, who are struggling in the aftermath of its closure or who what to share a special memory, which is why I have reposted this. There’s a very sweet remembrance posted a couple of days ago.

UPDATE: This afternoon, George and Michael Traverso sent an email to their customer list announcing the sale of their historic store. As you can see from the comments at the end of this post, this market is truly loved. Its absence will leave a huge hole in Santa Rosa. Please share your memories here.

It is with a sad and very heavy heart that I pass on news that I received yesterday from George Traverso.

Traverso’s Gourmet Foods & Liquors, Inc., which relocated from downtown Santa Rosa to Fountaingrove Village a couple of years ago, is in escrow. The sale will likely be final sometime shortly before Thanksgiving. The buyers are a couple from San Rafael.

“The last two years have been a real struggle,” George Traverso told me when he called yesterday with the news.

It was a big decision, a difficult decision, for he and his son Michael, who have been at the helm of the family market since Bill Traverso, George’s cousin and Michael’s uncle, retired.

The move to Fountaingrove, combined with both a struggling economy and the economic troubles of the property’s owner, Clem Carinalli, forced the difficult decision. The shuttering of Santi, the Italian restaurant that shared a wall with the beloved market, was a blow, too. The restaurant brought customers to the center and Traverso’s provided Italian wines for Santi’s monthly Supper Club dinners. When Sweet T’s Restaurant + Bar opens in the space sometime later this month, it will feature southern cuisine. Cafe Kaanapali, a Hawaiian coffee house, has been doing well since it opened in the space vacated by Caffe Centro but it doesn’t attract many fans of the Italian ingredients and local and international wines in which Traverso’s has long specialized.

Traverso’s Market was established in 1932, by Piero Carlo Traverso–or Charlie, as he was known–and was a family operation from the beginning. It has remained so until the end; they have not sold the name. When the store changes ownership, it will be known as Fountaingrove Market.

Over the next few days, I’ll post highlights of some of the features I’ve written about Traverso’s Market for both print and radio. For now, I need some olive oil, burrata, farro and wine and, while I still can, I will head to my beloved market, where they know my favorite mustard and always greet me with some of the warmest smiles I’ve ever seen.

Do you have special memories of Traverso’s? If so, please share them here.

Comments

1. Smurf

I am so sad to hear this news. I have been getting my Marilyn Merot wines from Traverso’s for 15 years now. I have also done business with them for catering with my Accounting Firm during this time. I never thought I would see this day. I will miss seeing their faces when I pop in. How very sad to see a local staple go away. You will be missed, Travero’s!!

October 5th, 2011 10:09 am

2. Jeremy Nichols

The Sonoma County Historical Society thanks Traverso’s for their support of our annual Historical Walks. We will miss them.

October 5th, 2011 10:14 am

3. Brian Elie

Oh No ! I love this market and always go there when I ‘m in the Santa Rosa area . I live 140 miles away . The guys there are VERY helpful and some of the products they sell there cannot be found anyehere else i know of.

P.S. The K & L wines that they carry are very special.

October 5th, 2011 10:16 am

4. goodguy

Another Santa Rosa/Sonoma County treasure bites the dust. Pretty soon all we’ll have anymore is memories. It’s too bad they moved from downtown, but it’s too bad our city leaders have ruined downtown which has caused so many businesses to relocate to other locales.
    It will never be the same downtown, and now they are forging ahead with that ridiculous and COSTLY reunification plan.
    Hey, pretty soon the Plaza will be a ghost town and Coddingtown will again be the place to go for shopping, dining, groceries, etc.

October 5th, 2011 10:19 am

5. Dave Madigan

I remember going to Traverso’s with my parents when I was a little kid. Traverso’s will be missed!

October 5th, 2011 10:30 am

6. Paul I.

Sad. The bus station was so crowded and you could not park at Sears, but Trader Joe’s did them in . . no big deal to get Italian wine anymore.

October 5th, 2011 10:35 am

7. applegranny

Thanks, Goodguy, for pointing out that our misguided city leaders forced Traverso’s to relocate out to the boonies.

October 5th, 2011 10:38 am

8. Kathy Poznanovich

What a treasure we are losing! I have gone to Traverso’s since I was a child and all my children still love it there. My childhood memory is the smell of the old building; my father Elmo was their
    mailman for years; you are always greeted with a smile and a warm hello. Santa Rosa will truly miss you.

October 5th, 2011 10:40 am

9. Michelle Sund

This is very sad indeed. My family and the Traverso’s go way back. I am 41 years old and when I was a baby my Mother wrote in my baby book on the same page where she noted my first words, my first step, etc., “Michelle had her first piece of French bread and salami today at Traverso’s Market!” That probably sounds funny but to me that represents so much from my childhood in Santa Rosa that is now gone.

October 5th, 2011 10:43 am

10. Catt

How sad… how very, very sad. This once again proves that Santa Rosa is headed in the wrong direction. We need markets like Traverso’s that set us APART from other cities. Not more homogenous, corporate, big box, lifeless businesses. When will Santa Rosa learn to support our local businesses with their dollars rather than empty slogans? Traverso’s, I will miss you. Whenever I wanted to relive my childhood food memories as a Siciliana, I could count on you to have the ingredients I needed. RIP and thanks for so many years of not only great food but of great experience.

October 5th, 2011 10:47 am

11. Leonardo Da Vinci

Truly a loss for Sonoma County. Traverso’s is a great place. Great store and great people. Molto grazie! (Find a new place for the store!)

October 5th, 2011 10:50 am

12. Winston Wolf

Love that market. I remember looking for a Moscato D’Asti there . . . didn’t even know what it was, but the wine guy took me right to the selection and spent 20 minutes with me explaining the differences . And the pastas there are amazing as well. Hopefully, Traverso’s will pop up again somewhere else.

October 5th, 2011 10:50 am

13. Mitch Mucullen

When they moved it was the end. No lunch crowd, nothing. Everyone living on the hill goes to work to pay for homes they cannot afford. I said this when they first moved.
    Fountaingrove is a wasteland during the day and after Fountaingrovers get out of work they go home, not shopping.

October 5th, 2011 10:59 am

14. Scott Leigh

WOW! I feel like one of my very best friends just died! My mom took me to Traverso’s Market as a kid before I could walk. We’ve been shopping there for many many years. Besides the great food, the joy of going there was the friendly staff….a real experience of my beloved Italy now gone. I’m in mourning!

October 5th, 2011 10:59 am

15. Robin Doran

This is indeed sad news. I will miss the great wine selection and all the beautiful aromas as well as the great staff. I was lucky enough to have experienced the original Traverso’s. Thanks for all those great years and all the best to the family.

October 5th, 2011 11:02 am

16. kevin McGuire

Thanks Subway, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box, In & Out, on and on for constantly lowering the bar and convincing the populace that their nutrition-void, mass-produced, soul-less products are actually food, with value. There used to be a time when people cared about the product and demanded quality. Not so much now.

Traverso’s was flat out the best place in our little paradise to have a delicious sandwich. It’s the end of an era, alright.

October 5th, 2011 11:07 am

17. Roberta Curiale

One Memory that will always warm my heart was the day my only daughter was getting married. We spent the day together and I told her I wanted to take her to lunch. She said, “Mom can we go to Traverso’s and get sandwiches?” and that’s what we did. She used to love to go there to get her lunch. I wish the Traverso family the best.

October 5th, 2011 11:07 am

18. Warm inside because of Traverso’s

I remember years ago, one wet winter day, working outside, cold and hungry, my boss came back from going to the bank with hot soup from Traverso’s. It tasted so good. That will be missed. Yes, there are other places to go bu, nothing like Traverso’s home-cooked food. I wish the family well and God Bless them in what ever new adventure they start.

October 5th, 2011 11:09 am

19. Laura Long

There will never be another wine/food shop in Santa Rosa like Traverso’s. We are so very saddened to hear this news. We wish the Traverso family and all their employees all the best.

October 5th, 2011 12:05 pm

20. Ianthe

This makes me so sad. My mother-in-law shopped at Traverso’s during the 50′s, 60′s, 70′s, and 80′s, and my husband continued this tradition. Traverso’s. They made the best sandwiches in town and provided amazing cheese, wine, and other quality ingredients for the serious chef.

October 5th, 2011 12:10 pm

21. Mike McKenna

The friendly smiles will be missed, and who’s going to make the gift baskets for the holidays?

October 5th, 2011 12:37 pm

22. Marilyn Dolce Davis

I am broken hearted to hear that my beloved Traverso’s is closing. In the 60 years I have been alive, Traverso’s has been a part of my life. I remember as a little girl running up and down the oiled-wood aisles of the old store. Rico and Louie would always give me pieces of salami and still did up until they passed away. I remember with fond memories all the Traverso family. . . friends of our family and the community.

It took me many, many years to get used to the “new store” near Sears and then they moved to Fountaingrove. I was so sad when that happened and had a bad feeling about it.

I will miss George, his welcoming smile and warm greetings. If my prayers are answered, they will not completely leave us but reopen in the near future somewhere else. Santa Rosa cannot afford to lose this crown jewel in the history of Sonoma County and the Italians who came here to live and work. This is truly a very sad day for all of us who know and love this place we call home.

October 5th, 2011 1:11 pm

23. Jessica

I feel like my childhood is disappearing. My family has shopped at Traverso’s for as long as I can remember- George used to give me a free piece of salami when I was little. Even though I live in LA, I stop at Traverso’s at least once per visit home for my favorite veggie sandwich in the world. I have 30 years of perfect family lunches, picnics at Spring Lake, and emergency just-been-dumped sandwich parties for which Traverso’s is responsible. I’m praying along with the rest of you that they find another space and do not disappear entirely. I don’t know how I can get through the next 30 years without regular sandwich intake!

October 5th, 2011 1:23 pm

24. Patrick Llerena

Very sad. My heart goes out to Michael, George, Fred, Claudio, Elena and all who call Traverso’s ‘Family’. We will miss you.

October 5th, 2011 1:25 pm

25. Elise Baril

I started going to Traverso’s when I was a little girl in 1960. I remember well the smell of pickles, meats and cheese. I still love going there, and was sorry when they moved to Fountaingrove. I’ll stop by again and say my farewells. End of an era! Another locally owned store gone, and another lessening of the bar for really good food!

October 5th, 2011 2:08 pm

26. Julie MacDonald

I am among those mourners who will greatly miss Traverso’s. My great grandparents went to Traverso’s, my grandparents, my parents and so on. I always savored my salami slice as a child as mom picked up proscuitto, head cheese, mortadella, coppa, etc. Traverso’s has been part of every one of our family’s Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. I will be hoping I have not had my last salami and swiss, mayo only on a hard sourdough roll. Please find another location so “our” history can continue.

October 5th, 2011 2:18 pm

27. Ann Marie Montecuollo

How sad to think of entertaining without being able to visit the Traverso family for the best ingredients not to mention the warm smiles and caring personal attention. I will miss you so very much. Where else can I walk in and pretend that I really speak Italian?

October 5th, 2011 2:28 pm

28. Tony Traverso

Very sad news indeed… I wish the family good luck and we’ll miss all the good eats. Take care. Respectfully, Tony and Julie Traverso, Petaluma, CA

October 5th, 2011 2:29 pm

29. valeria

sad, sad, sad day :( Thank you to everyone at Traverso’s for the memories. Being from Piemonte and missing home a lot, going to the store was my way to feel a little less homesick, picking up a bottle of Moscato and my prosciutto. You will always be in my heart.

October 5th, 2011 2:51 pm

30. Julie Consani - Johnson

Wow, I am so saddened!
    I have been coming to Traverso’s since before I was born (that is the story told to my husband by Rico and Louie), when my parents were expecting me.
    My grandfather Angelo was buddies with Rico and Louie, I remember oh so well the stories from the “old country”. We have been blessed to come back to roost in Santa Rosa, with our son and his family. Now with a 5 generation tradition coming to an end it is very sad.
    We will miss you all so much.
    Julie Johnson

October 5th, 2011 3:06 pm

31. BILL CONSANI

I and my family have known the Traversos and have been buying from their stores for over 61 years. My father, Angelo Consani (The “Wrecker”) was one of their best customers. I became a customer of theirs when I returned from overseas in 1952 and have remained a customer since, even tho I have travelled around the world and the States and now live in Chico. I still go to the store and am greeted by the warm smiles of George and Michael. I will miss them all as I did when Bill retired and some of the others passed on. Good luck to you all in what ever ventures you have in your new lives.
    William P. Consani Sr. (Son of Angelo)

October 5th, 2011 3:32 pm

32. jan

Noooooo, Michele! Terrible loss.

October 5th, 2011 3:56 pm

33. James P. Gaffey

What a loss! Fifty years ago northern California boasted of only a few true delicatessens with an international flavor – Ratto’s in Oakland, Goldberg Bowen in San Francisco, and the Corti Brothers in Sacramento. But Traverso’s was ours, and it was the equal to any of them. Few of us ever saw something called “baccalà,” which was salt cod, until we walked the hardwood aisles of Traverso’s, and we realized that our hosts were seasoned importers. Louie and Rico welcomed everyone with a smile, and sometimes with a shaving of cheese or salami. George and Michael kept the torch burning. In the wine department Bill gave hours of his time to advise first-time or frequent clients, and if you bought a case, you got your discount along with an extra bottle of wine. The sights and sounds were memorable, but what transformed this market into a world-class emporium were the aromas. Each corner had its own special bouquet. Diane Ackerman in her book “The Natural History of the Senses” wrote that the underrated sense of smell may be the most important one we have. This family from Genoa knew this — along with all of us who breathed the rich perfume of life that blanketed Traverso’s. What a loss!

October 5th, 2011 4:35 pm

34. Michelle

My heart is heavy. Traverso’s has been a part of my family for 4 generations! My great-grandparents (Marchetti’s, grandparents (Hembrees) my parents (MacDonalds)and now my family (Meislahns) all had ties to Traverso’s. The delicious smell of the old store will never be replicated! I am so glad my children were able to experience Traverso’s. I feel like I’ve lost a family member!
    Good luck to the Traverso family. You will be missed..

October 5th, 2011 5:10 pm

35. Ron Consani

Would go to the original store whenever I visited my grandparents. They lived right across the street from the store. You could smell the sourdough bread from the front porch of their house. I woulld talk to the brothers. Great class of men. I liked going to the downtown store for deli. The best ever. I will truly miss this in the future.

October 5th, 2011 7:39 pm

36. David Spencer

Jessica said it perfectly–I feel like my childhood is disappearing. I grew up with Traverso’s when it was located on “A” & 2nd St; it was an important part of my childhood; Traverso’s will not be forgotten.

October 5th, 2011 7:45 pm

37. kory kevin ryan

I am saddened to hear this. Since they moved from downtown, I haven’t been able to go there at all. I have to think that their move to Fountaingrove greatly contributed to this. But that aside, I remember for years going into the store downtown and being greeted with the smell of the meats and cheeses. I loved their sandwiches and the people behind the counter who made them. Even though I could never get to Fountaingrove, Traverso’s is/was an institution, and it is sad when hometown places like this die. I’m not sure progress and big stores are worth the price we, and places and people like the Traversos, pay. I will miss the people, and my salami.

October 5th, 2011 8:17 pm

38. Anita

Where was the location of Traverso’s before the Sears location?

October 5th, 2011 8:32 pm

39. Michelle Sund

While I have the chance, I also want to express my deepest gratitude to Traverso’s for generously providing the food at my Father’s memorial (Carl Sund) 2 years ago. Our family very much appreciated all that you did!

October 5th, 2011 10:05 pm

40. Sartre

As saddened as we are by the loss of Traversos, we cannot believe that they didn’t negotiate for the current employees to stay on.

October 5th, 2011 10:40 pm

41. Lea Goode-Harris

Sad news for us all, for Traverso’s is a rare gem. Even though I followed them “up” the hill, Traverso’s truly ended for me when they left the downtown. Another causality of our not having a vital, thriving heart at the center of our Santa Rosa. Thank you, Traverso’s, for all that you brought to our community and to our eating pleasure for all these years.

October 6th, 2011 9:11 am

42. George DeCargouet

After hearing the news that Traverso’s was going to be closing, it really hit me hard. I have been well known by the Traversos ever since I moved to Santa Rosa from Klammath Falls, Oregon, in 1973. I remember Rico Traverso would always greet me with a very warming welcome when I came into the Store. I even Remember Louie Traverso and Adeleine Traverso. After their passings I continued to come into Traverso’s Market a lot. I was even at the Grand opening of their new location in Fountain Grove. They have been really well known for their great meat and cheeses as well as their other great foods. It will never be the same for me again after they close forever.

October 6th, 2011 9:44 am

43. Jennifer

It truly IS the end of an era. The special memories are countless. My best memories are of the original location. I remember the creaking of the hardwood floors and the smell of salami when you walk in. I would climb the narrow staircase and visit with Grandma Traverso while my mother shopped (and talked!). She always gave me Stella D’oro cookies. On the way out, Louie or Rico would give me a slice of salami or salami ends! Louie was the funny one and Rico was a bit more shy and serious! Loved them both! I haven’t been there for years but the memories of their family are embedded in my childhood memories forever. So sad.

October 6th, 2011 10:20 am

44. Stephanie Traverso-Thair

From an early age, I remember a trip to “the store” (as we would call it) was an exciting adventure. Not only would my siblings and I get to see our dad, Bill, we would also have the opportunity to visit our grandpa, Louie, and numerous other cousins. A sense of pride would always overcome me as I stepped on the creaky wood floors of the store on B Street. Founded on hard work and customer service, the store instilled in each of us the value of a dollar, treating every person with respect and that nothing was beneath us. Life lessons that no text book could ever address.

I look back with fondness and gratitude on having had the chance to work alongside my dad and grandpa over Christmas vacation and school breaks. Much of my work ethic today is a direct result of their influence. They led by example and didn’t need to prove anything. Hard work, dedication to family, fairness and honesty are what I take with me as Traverso’s legacy. As my grandpa used to say, “Sempre Avanti!”

October 6th, 2011 11:18 am

45. Andy Doyle

Bill Traverso was a mentor while I was cutting my teeth as a wine rep in the late eighties. I own a little wine store in McKinney, Texas, now and want it to be “just like Traverso’s”. This news is sad – a sad commentary on the ‘state of taste’ and further proof of the devastating effects of public transportation (they’d have never moved were it not for that stinkin’ bus terminal)

October 6th, 2011 2:02 pm

46. Barbara Hollingsworth

I’m so sad to hear about Traverso closing. I thought Traverso’s would always be around. I have memories as a little girl going to the old store with my mother and getting a free piece of salami from Louie . Then going home with a pound or two of salami. With cheese and sourdough rolls. Sooo good. I took my children there and now I have a grandson. The old store smelled wonderful too. Made me hungry for a salami sandwich. Lost count on how many I’ve had. When ever I needed something special George would help me. Traverso’s did a lot for the community too. I will miss you. I’ll try to take my grandson in for his last free piece of salami.. Happiness and Love to the Traverso family. But. Hope to see another store open again.

October 6th, 2011 6:14 pm

47. Jeffrey Morse

My father, Steve Morse, did their ads for the PD for over 25 years. I still remember going in on Saturday mornings with dad to pick up the final draft of their Sunday ad, and Louis plying me with salami while I waited for them to finish business. This is like losing a family member, my last connexion with Santa Rosa is gone. It was the one place I could go and get a real hometown, welcome back greeting, where truly they knew your name and asked about your family and made you feel that despite everything, Santa Rosa was still a small town, where people still cared for one another.

October 6th, 2011 8:08 pm

48. Roni Brown

We are so sad to learn you are closing. Not only is the store unique in the merchandise you sell, and wonderful food you prepare, but the employees are like family. Everyone makes you feel welcome and seem grateful that you patronized their store. We wish you all the best in the next phase of your life. Thank you for being a part of what makes Sonoma County a great place to live.
    Kindest regards,
    Roni & Dave Brown

October 7th, 2011 10:29 am

49. Lea Bergen

I’ve been shopping at Traverso’s since I moved to the County in 1978. I remember waiting for the actor Aaron Burr to finish his purchases so I could order prosciutto in the ONLY place that knows how to slice it. Even now, over 30 years later, it’s still the only place. I often went in and bought something even though all I really wanted to do was speak Italian to folks who understood. It has been a one-of-a-kind. I am terribly sad. Buona fortuna alla famiglia Traverso e grazie mille.

October 7th, 2011 3:49 pm

50. Kathy

I cannot get over my sadness at losing this wonderful market, its excellent staff and service, and the specialty products I can’t find anywhere else. I became a diehard customers when I first moved to Sonoma County 21 years ago.
    Where else am I going to get that fabulous line of Italian pasta they carry, my fresh burrata to go with the padron peppers from the farmers market? Any kind of cheese I could ever want? The special teas, and the Traverso label jams and jellies? The best array anywhere is quality wine in split sizes for people like me who can’t get through a whole bottle but still want fine wine?
    There are so many other ingredients and foods I go there to get, it is just a crying shame that more people didn’t go to the trouble to follow them to their new location, it’s really not that far away and it was well worth the time to get there.
    Just a crying shame.

October 7th, 2011 4:51 pm

51. Rich Simoni

I was truly saddened to learn of Traverso’s closing. I started going there in the late 1940′s with my father and grandfather. Now my children and grandchilden shop there. Memories of the vast assortment of fine food and the smells of the store will remain with me forever.

It was never like going to a store but rather like visiting family.

Good luck to the family. You will be missed!

Rich Simoni

October 8th, 2011 9:42 am

52. PK

Living just down the street from their new location, I was so thrilled when both Traverso’s and Santi moved in. What a pleasure to walk to such fine establishments. Now I am so very sad. On the dimly bright side, there are new tennants. Maybe they will be understanding when we ask them to carry on as much like Traverso’s as they can. As for the new restaurant, I hope they’re going to be flexible.

October 8th, 2011 3:31 pm

53. jg

I rarely went into Traverso’s but will miss them just the same. Hope new market attracts people like me who bypass Traverso’s and shop at Oliver’s. Also need to have great local wines.

October 8th, 2011 6:12 pm

54. Debra Vitali

How very sad to hear that they are closing. My family and I lived in Santa Rosa many years ago and my Italian relatives from way back knew the Traverso family. We also make it a point to go there when in Northern California and were fortunate to be there last year. I fondly remember the old store with the wood floors and how good it smelled. A wonderful childhood memory!! You will be missed.

October 14th, 2011 6:10 pm

55. Betty Consani Snyder

Sorry to post this so far after the closing.

I am another Consani who grew up with Traverso’s in their life.

My grandparents, Mable and Angelo Consani, were good customers and friends I remember looking forward to the treks to the deli and getting our salami and ravioli.

I still compare everyone’s ravioli with Traverso’s. And no one could slice and layer salami like Traverso’s.

I will miss Traverso’s when I return to Santa Rosa for visits. But thank you for all the memories you and your establishment provided to me and my family.

February 28th, 2012 2:06 pm

56. MicheleAnna.Jordan

No problem, Betty. It is great to hear memories of Traverso’s at any time. Let’s hope they re-emerge.

March 2nd, 2012 11:06 am

57. Wanda Venturacci

My father, Neil Venturacci, was Charlie Traverso’s schoolmate at Lincoln School back in the early 1920s. Dad would take me to the original Traverso’s store, before their move downtown, back in the 1950s & 60s. The scent of salami and prosciutto soaked into that old wood floor and the aroma was delicious. As a child, I’d look up and see prosciutto hams and salamis hanging from the rafters.The french bread and all the cheeses, wines and pastas…it was glorious. On each visit to SR, we stopped in to say hello to George at Traverso’s. It will be missed. Wanda Venturacci

April 26th, 2012 12:53 pm

58. Glenn Richardson

I know this is very late, but I just had to say something to pay tribute.

My memories of Traverso’s go back to the midsixties when I started grade school. Every summer my mother along with my sister, my grandmother and I would travel from Ukiah to Santa Rosa for our “school shopping,” which was short for replacing the wardrobe that no longer fit. We would first go to Coddingtown then to Rosenberg’s. The last stop was Traverso’s and the guys always remembered my grandmother’s name. I remember being blown away by the $100.00 that my grandmother spent on coppa, mortadella, salami, cheese etc.

It was the one time a year we had cold cuts for dinner.

About a year ago my wife and I stopped by and I noticed the huge print on the wall with the first generation owners in the foreground, whom I immediately recognized. The man waiting on me that day looked to be in his 60s or 70s and confirmed that he was one of the young fellows standing in the background. He gave us a cloth shopping bag for no charge. I guess he was grateful that I remembered the old days. Those days mean so much to many of us. I can’t imagine how it feels to him. I wish the Traverso’s the best of luck in the future.

May 28th, 2012 11:24 am

59. MicheleAnna.Jordan

Glenn, such a wonderful story is welcome at any time. Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve send your comments to George Traverso, Rico Traverso’s son, and have re-posted the article so that others who loved this market may read your story.

May 28th, 2012 12:41 pm

60. speedee

What can you say…thanks for the amazing service my entire life….the best, simply the best, an end of an era…..

Always be missed

May 28th, 2012 11:17 pm

61. Kathy

I still really, really really miss Traverso’s. And seeing this thread resurrected reminds me of the slim hopes that we had when it was announced it was being sold, not just closed.

It’s really a pity. But then again I still mourn the loss of Sawyer’s and Petrini’s. And now I fear that Pacific Market’s existence is threatened, the shelves have been half bare there for several months.

Guess I have trouble letting go! It gets harder and harder to shop locally and support the small businesses. Don’t even get me started on how I feel about the new spot for Copperfield’s.

May 29th, 2012 1:18 pm

62. Ron CROCKER

We lived about three blocks from Traverso’s when it was on the corner of A and 1st. That was back in 1963 and 64. I was stationed at the Two Rock Ranch Army base and my wife worked at Pacific Bell downtown.

We had just gotten married and were a long way from our home in New Mexico and really appreciated the family like atmosphere there at Traverso’s. Being from the ‘sticks’, this was our first exposure to everything Italian and we loved it. They provided our first encounter with Chianti wine and hard salami. We were amazed by the huge ‘pillows’ of cheese too.

We loved Traverso’s and we have nothing but fond memories of everything about our time in Santa Rosa.

Fm Georgetown, TX now.